Max Weiler on the scaffold, working on the murals for Innsbruck's main railway station, 1954
With the commission for the ticket hall in Innsbruck's main railway station (1954/55), Weiler created a further work that attracted considerable public attention. On two walls that face one another, it depicts Innsbruck's past and its present. The murals combine characteristic pictorial signs from the past and the contemporary world, giving arriving or departing travellers a kind of visual summary of Innsbruck. Weiler's decorative aesthetic is particularly apparent in these open murals painted with Keim mineral paints. Rather than aspiring to direct interaction with its viewers, it reacts to the absent-minded attention of travellers who, absorbed in their own business, do not wish to dwell on painted images as they walk by. These are works that expect only a passing glance.
The murals were removed in 2001. As of 2004 they have been displayed in a prominent position in Innsbruck's new main railway station.
Interior view "Innsbruck's history, 1954" in Innsbruck's new main railway station
Innsbruck's history, 1954 Keim mineral paint 600 x 1200 cm
Design for "Innsbruck's history", 1954 Egg tempera, opaque white, pencil on paper 126,5 x 142 cm
Sketch for "Innsbruck's history", 1954 Pencil on paper 61 x 86,2 cm
Interior view "Innsbruck's present, 1955" in Innsbruck's new main railway station
Innsbruck's present, 1955 Keim mineral paints 800 x 1200 cm
Design (1:1) "Skier", 1955 Egg tempera on paper 149 x 159 cm
Design (1:1) "Ball player", 1955 Egg tempera on paper 150,4 x 165,1 cm